Between visits by European explorers, the village was abandoned by the Iroquois, who moved south of Lake Ontario and the Mississaugas, a branch of the Ojibwa settled along the north shore of the lake.
In a parting blow, General Roger Sheaffe ordered the grand magazine, a timber structure on the shore of Lake Ontario packed with 30,000 pounds of gunpowder, 30,000 cartridges, 10,000 cannonballs and numerous musket balls, be torched to prevent it falling into American hands.
The blast, powerful enough to perforate eardrums and hemorrhage the lungs of some American soldiers massed outside the Fort was said to have rattled windows 50 kilometres across the lake in Niagara.
The history of Toronto, Ontario, Canada begins several millennia ago.
Archaeological finds in the area have found artifacts of First Nations dating back several thousand years.
The Americans, who lost their commanding officer in the explosion, proceeded to sack the town and burn down the government buildings but did not take possession of York.
Peace came after only two years of the war which ended in a stalemate.
Simcoe only lived in York for three years, but he directed its initial settlement on a gridiron layout near the mouth of the Don River.
In 1797, the garrison which became Fort York was built at the entrance to Toronto Harbour.
Dorchester's first choice was Kingston, but was aware of the number of Loyalists in the Bay of Quinte and Niagara areas, and chose instead the location north of the Bay of Toronto, midway between the settlements and 30 miles (48 km) from the US.